Julio Gonzalo Herbas
Petroleum Engineer, Founder & CEO of MineaOil Ltd
2016 - Present
Petroleum Reservoir Consultant
Nitrogen Injection in a water injection reservoir and improving injection profiles fractured reservoirs Samaria field Bermudez complex, Pemex. Performance review water injection in fractured reservoirs Samaria field to define potential for EOR. Pemex. Asset acquisition, PE, RE, EOR workshops & technology transfer.
2015 - 2017
GE and McDermott
As the principal reservoir engineer I provided subsurface support to evaluate field development projects such as Jackdaw HPHT North Sea, Tolmount gas condensate NS, South Clair NS, Giove Adriatic Sea; Nsiko HPHT offshore Nigeria, Nitrogen and gas injection Ku-Mallob-Zaap Cantarell Mexico, Gas compression optimization Trinidad, Fortuna Gas development Equatorial Guinea, Tortue gas development Tanzania.
Dynamic modelling oil and gas condensate fields offshore Nigeria (hands on prosper, mbal gap). Proposals for gas condensate monetization studies Eastern Venezuela. Ayatsil-Tequel heavy oil shallow water Mexico; Amistad full field review Petroequador.
2014 - 2015
As the principal reservoir engineer and EOR specialist for the Badila field in Chad, I identified a 3% potential increase in the recovery factor by early water injection (~3 MMstb; $mm>90) and EOR polymer injection. NPV US$10mm at oil price $50/stb and incremental reserve of 5%
2011 - 2014
Tullow Oil Uganda
EOR polymer injection ~200 million barrels in Uganda Lake Albert fields. Coordinated execution of laboratory tests, dynamic reservoir simulation studies, horizontal wells, production facilities, cost estimations and commercial evaluations. Polymer Pilot Tests for EOR Polymer injection for Kasamene and Kigogole medium waxy oil. Dynamic simulation for development plan 70.000 stb/Day, 100 horizontal producer wells and 50 water injectors Jobi-Rii field Uganda, a 1.7 Billion barrels STOIIP heavy oil field; simulation studies to optimize the well counts, increased recovery factor from 19 to 21% additional resources 57 million barrels.
Dual Straddle Packer DST tests in appraisal wells in Jobi-Rii and Jobi-East fields, generating data for the full field simulations. Production well tests in Kasamene and Kigogole fields Uganda.
2008 - 2010
Maersk Oil Denmark
Water Injection Forced Imbibition EOR project injecting sea water in chalk reservoirs, added potential resource ~6 MMstb Svend field. Dynamic simulation to design side track and water shut off a vertical well Lulita field Denmark, added ~2.6 MMstb . Eclipse simulation justified increase in the oil rate 40 % modifying separation pressures. Gas cap depletion plan. Classical reservoir engineering, reserves management and reservoir simulation history match for the Danish North Sea field Roar, Svend, Lulita and Svend
2005 - 2009
British Petroleum Aberdeen
Development plan 120 MMscf/Day gas and 6000 stb/Day liquids Devenick Gas Condensate (VIP, MBal, Prosper, Gap, PIE). Defined optimum horizontal well length 300m saving drilling costs ~20%. Ranking HPHT fields Kate, Kesog, Puffin, JU-5, Devenick, Shearwater, Elgin & Franklin. HAC Business unit BP Aberdeen. Added reserve 5.5 MMstb in Farragon field. Generated production profiles with 2 years longer plateau & COP by early gas lift and water shut off (Mbal, Prosper, Shaphir and VIP dynamic models). Added reserve 0.8 MMstb by Decline Curve Analysis in Andrew & Cyrus fields. EOR multiple contact miscible displacement gas injection study, that identified additional resource 2.5 MMstb in Farragon field (1D compositional and black oil model VIP,Mbal, EOR Prosper & Gap)
Landmark Halliburton KL Malaysia
History matched D18 field Eclipsel. Duland & Tiong Ke-Pong fields review (Mbal, well test, DCA)
1980 - 2004
BP Venezuela, Total, Statoil and more...
During this time I held several positions in different companies and worked on several projects in the Latin American Region. My responsibilities and achievements included the development of gel treatment applications to improve water & gas injection profiles in water injection wells in the El Furrial field Venezuela (EOR), well tests, reservoir evaluation and many more.
1976 - 1982
Petroleum Engineer, Zulia University
Gas Engineering, Zulia University
EOR Course, Simon Bolivar University
Project Economics, IESA Venezuela
Geo-Pressures Ikon London
STARS EOR Simulator CMG London
Polymer EOR Projects Vienna
Petrel RE Uncertainty Analysis London
Petrel RE Oslo
Integrated Field Modelling Petroleum Experts BP Exploration, Aberdeen
Reserves Certification BP, London
VIP Reservoir Simulation Landmark Halliburton, London
I am a seasoned Petroleum Engineer with 44 years hands-on experience in exploration, appraisal, field development, reservoir evaluations and simulation, water injection, conventional & miscible gas injection, polymer floods, gels conformance treatments and steam injection.
I am motivated by multidisciplinary and multicultural team work focused on goal achievement and overall assets value increase.
- Geo-pressures Ikon London 2016
- Stars EOR simulator CMG London 2013
- Field Development Planning London 2013
- Polymer EOR Projects Vienna May 2012
- Petrel RE Uncertainty Analysis London 2012
- Petrel RE Oslo 2009
- Integrated Field Modelling Petroleum Experts BP Exploration, Aberdeen 2008
- Reserves Certification BP Explorating operating company, London 2007
- VIP Reservoir Simulation Landmark Halliburton London 2006
- Simulation Strategies Gordon Thomas OGCI June 2002
- Seismic Interpretation Fundamentals Jhon Burrel, OGCI July 2001
- Eclipse Reservoir Simulator Geoquest December 2000
- Excellence JMW Consultants 1997. Asset evaluations BP Colombia 1996
- Compositional Simulation in Practice, Scientific Software Intercomp June 1993
- Advanced Reservoir Simulation Michael Todd TCA Reservoir Eng. Services April 1992
- The Landmark Forum February 1998
- Well Test Interpretation June 1998
- Asset Simulation BP Exploration November 1996
- Developing Excellence JMW Consultants March 1997
- Miscible Flooding SPE F. M.Orr Jr. April 1990
- Formation Damage Control Strategies, Core Laboratories July 1989
- Advanced Well Testing, Schlumberger 1989
- Production Economics Shell International Petroleum 1986
- Production Technology Shell International Petroleum 1985
- Pressure Tests for Reservoirs Characterization 1984
- Open hole and cased hole Log analysis Schlumberger 1984
- Enhanced Oil Recovery, SSI Intercomp 1983
- Gas Reservoir Engineering J. Ikoku 1983